An Update Regarding Passports
From Congresswoman Val Hoyle
Following the COVID-19 pandemic, applications for passports have increased by approximately 30 to 40 percent over the last year. This increase in travel has led to a backlog and delay in processing of U.S. passport applications by the State Department.
Where to go to apply for a passport:
- Visit the State Department’s website to apply for your passport application HERE.
Here’s what you can do:
- Please plan ahead and don’t delay. Submit your application well ahead of your travel dates.
- As of March 2023, the State Department is reporting delays of up to 13 weeks for routine processing, and up to 9 weeks for expedited processing. Disclaimer: the routine and expedited processing times does NOT include mail processing.
- Ensure your application is accurate and make sure your paperwork and forms are complete.
- If you are having trouble after you have applied, call my office: 541-465-6732 or fill out this form.
If you have questions or need assistance regarding your passport, we are here to assist and do everything we can to help you get your passport in time for your upcoming travel. I always want to provide my constituents with transparency on this process and ensure each step is understood. Below is a helpful guide on what my office can and cannot do.
What my office can do:
- Help you communicate with federal agencies.
- Request information or a status report on your case.
- Request that an agency consider or reconsider your case.
- Submit an inquiry with a federal agency on your behalf.
- Help you obtain basic information from a federal agency.
What my office cannot do:
- Force a federal agency to act in your favor or speed up your case.
- Provide legal advice or recommend an attorney.
- Overturn or influence matters involving private businesses.
Need more assistance? Visit these quick links on passport support below:
- Visit the State Department’s website to see how you can apply for a passport or for assistance with your passport application HERE.
- Track the status of an open application by clicking HERE.
- Contact U.S. Passports by clicking HERE.
- To get help with general questions, see the State Department’s Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page regarding passports HERE.